10 April 2013

Blind Obsession





Blurb

Obsession, defined as the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image or desire....

Chantel Rosenberg's passion for music and life had never shone brighter than the time she spent in Bordeaux France. It's a time when feelings arose and desires ran deep, a time that fundamentally changed her life.

A man living in seclusion, Phillipe Tibideau is haunted and plagued by memories he cannot disregard. Choosing to live a quiet life in his Chateau surrounded by the vineyards of France, he's left his passion for art behind.

However, the time has arrived to tell his side of a tale. A tale that has depicted him as a 'beautiful monster' and he's finally allowing someone close.

Close enough to ask questions. Questions he's not sure he wants to answer. Questions about her.

For up and coming journalist Gemma Harris, the pursuit of truth is what drives her and when a job of a lifetime presents itself there is nothing in the world that will stop her from taking it. Even if it does mean leaving her home for several months to stay at Chateau Tibideau, with him.

This is a story of what happens when three passionate lovers collide and the desire for truth, art and music merge.

Chateau Tibideau is a place full of unanswered questions, dark sinful desire and a beauty so hauntingly sad it will have you wondering how you will ever leave the same....

My Review

I really don't think I can add anything more to what has already been said about this book. It was quite simply phenomenal. A GR friend of mine wrote in her review that this is not just a book or a novel but experience. I agree.

First off, I must admit that while I was intensely curious and intrigued about this book, I was hesitant to read it. I knew this wasn't your "ride-off-into-the-sunset-and-live-happily-ever-after" kind of romance. So I put on my big-girl-panties and just dived right into it, and all I can say is I am so glad I did. It was indeed an experience like no other.

That said, I will try to at least write a decent, non-spoilery, and more importantly coherent review for this book.

"Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind, and, therefore, is winged cupid painted blind."

Phillipe, Chantal, Gemma. Three people bound together by love, desire and intense obsession.

Phillipe was intensely passionate, darkly erotic, tortured and tormented by his own guilt and demons has shut himself off from the world after tragically losing his everything. The world painted him as a beautiful monster, a man whose obsession destroyed the life an innocent woman.

You can literally feel his anguish and pain. It just jumps off the page and grabs you and as a reader, you can't help but get pulled in. Sometimes, you know, you read a book with a tortured hero and you feel is ambivalence? Well, not on this book. You will certainly feel something and not all of those feelings are pleasant. I have intense feelings for Phillipe. I loved him, hated him and pitied him at the same time.

His feelings for Chantel was beautiful and intense but in the end, it was just tragic. Oh, it was tragic. The author really did a great job portraying Phillipe and Chantel's love for each other. Each word and each description, not to mention the music and the art that was woven throughout the story makes you feel like you are there yourself, witnessing these two people lose themselves in each other.

Chantel was captivating. She wasn't there, yet she was. Sometimes you can't help but love her and you can really understand why Phillipe and eventually, Gemma were so captivated by her. Yet at the same time, I resented her. Why can't you just let him go?

And then there is Gemma. Oh, how my heart breaks for that woman. She was simply quite divine. I can say that she's the one character that I could relate to. She was brave, really brave and her journey throughout this story was just heartbreaking. I wanted to give her a hug all the freakin' time! You feel her pain and intense longing for a love that can never be. *sniff*

There is one more character that I felt just needs to be acknowledged, and no it's not Diva or Penelope, but the Chateau Tibideau. The silent and ever-present witness to the love between Phillipe, Chantal and Gemma. I loved the first part when Gemma first arrived and she sees this run-down chateau and it was also the last thing she saw when she left. I felt that the chateau typifies Phillipe himself. The chateau definitely mirrored his transformation throughout the whole story.

The story is over but at the same it's not or maybe I just don't want it to be over.

Thank you, Ms. Ella Frank for writing this wonderful story. You have really hit it out of the park on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment